Home Page

Ferrars Junior School

Contact Us: 01582 574933 Twitter: @FerrarsJunior

FJS SEND Parental Support

All Luton Local Authority (LA) maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, are able to make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.


The SEN Code of Practice 2014 split all possible special educational needs and disabilities into four areas of need. The four broad ‘areas of need’ are Communication and Interaction, Cognition and Learning, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties, and Sensory and Physical Needs. This means that whatever needs a child has, the characteristics of their needs can be placed into one or more of those categories.


At Ferrars Junior School, we embrace the fact that every child is different, and, therefore, the educational needs of every child are different; this is certainly the case for children with Special Educational Needs. Our Mission Statement reflects this holistic view of all our children and their qualities as individuals; The questions below will provide more information about how we support children with Special Educational Needs at our school.


Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?


Your child’s class teacher.

He or She is responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs and Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo) know as necessary.
  • Writing Individual Learning Plans (ILPs) and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term. These will include personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on school’s provision map.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.


Teaching Assistants who work in your child’s class and support your child/

They are responsible for:

  • Supporting the children in the class or year group under the direction of the teacher.
  • Support can be offered in many ways i.e. whole class, small groups or individually.
  • They carry out more intensive intervention programmes, usually working 1 to 1 with a child for short periods frequently.
  • Some TA’s work specifically with a child if the child has an Education, Health and Care plan.
  • It is helpful to know that any Parent or Carer is welcome to talk to a TA in the class i.e. to share information or ask brief questions relating to the child.


The school’s SENDCo. This is Mrs Alison McDade

She is responsible for;

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy. Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you are:
    • Involved in supporting your child’s learning
    • Kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • Involved in reviewing how they are doing.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into to school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc.
  • Ensuring that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.



How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your Child’s Class Teacher initially. They know your child best and are in the best position to offer advice and support.


If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you can contact the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo) Mrs Alison McDade. Mrs McDade is best contacted by email at or by making an appointment at the school office.


How will I know that the school will support my child?

The progress of all children in school is underpinned by planning and assessment. The progress of every child in our school is assessed, monitored and discussed in half termly pupil progress meetings between the Senior Leadership Team and Class teacher. Any child who is not making the progress we would expect is discussed with parents and support put in place. Individual targets will be reviewed each term and parent’s views will be sought as part of the review process. Parent’s evenings are held in the autumn and spring terms and parents receive a full report in the summer term. However, if there are any concerns about a child’s progress between these times, teachers will contact parents.


What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?

Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching)

For your child this will mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • That specific strategies are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.


Specific group work

Intervention which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.
  • Run by a teacher, teaching assistant (TA) or Family worker


Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENDCo /class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from

  • Local Authority central services, such as the Specialist Teaching Team
  • Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).

What could happen:

  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.


Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong. Usually this means that the child’s needs have been assessed as greater than what the school has a responsibility or the capacity to provide support for.


This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching.


This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.


Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as the Specialist Teaching Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.


For your child this would mean

  • The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to a panel of professionals (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the panel will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The EHC Plan will outline a funding amount which can be converted into Teaching Assistant hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the Local Authority and how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child. The Teaching Assistant may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to pupils?

Our School is an inclusive school and offers a range of provision to support children with SEND (Special Educational Needs or a Disability), where the school has identified a need and staffing levels allow. Pupil’s needs are identified in the termly pupil progress meetings and as a result of these meetings; resources are allocated according to need.

All the interventions at our school are delivered by staff who are trained in that intervention and year group.

The provision of these groups is overseen by the Special Educational Needs/ Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo) and by class teachers. The school identifies the needs of SEND pupils on a provision map. This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible. The effectiveness of every intervention run in school is monitored using assessments.


What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with a Special Need or Disability?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

The Special Needs Coordinator is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.

If your child is assessed and diagnosed with a specific learning difficulty ie, dyspraxia, then there may be some workshops run by outside agencies that you can attend.

All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you. Ideally information will be with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report. Action Plans will be reviewed with your involvement each term. Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.

A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.


How will the school measure the progress of my child?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

Each half term your class teacher will formally monitor progress. Information on this is discussed with the Senior Leadership Team at a pupil progress meeting each half term. This information is also carefully monitored by the SENDCo.

If your child has an Individual Learning Plan, this will be reviewed three times per year by teaching staff and Parents which usually coincides with Parent Consultations.

The progress of children with an Education Health Care Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.

At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using National Curriculum Tests. This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.

The Class teachers and SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress with any individual work and in any group that they take part in and the school has a range of systems to record this information.


How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

The School has a wide range of procedures and systems in place to monitor every child’s progress in school. If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • Listen to any concerns you may have
  • Plan any additional support your child may need
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning.

We believe that good communication between home and school is vital to ensuring that we deliver the best education and support to your child.

We have a range of means of communication with parents that includes;

  • E-mail
  • After school meetings
  • Telephone calls
  • Home school communication books.

We liaise with several different professional bodies (Educational Psychologists, Speech and

Language Therapists, Specialist Support Teachers etc) and we would be happy to meet

to help with the explanation of professional reports were any parents to find that helpful.


Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in our school?

School provision

  • Teaching Assistants
  • Wellbeing Team

Provision from outside agencies

  • Educational Psychology Service
  • SEND Support Service
  • Parent Partnership Service
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • School Nurse/ CAMHS


How are the teachers/Teaching Assistants in school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?

The SENDCo’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.

The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Speech and Language difficulties.

Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. Dyslexia or Social Stories.

Therefore, training needs form part of the evaluation process at the half termly pupil progress meetings.


How will the teaching and curriculum be adapted and matched to my child’s needs.

  • Classroom based strategies that ensure all teaching is as good as it can possibly be (Quality First Teaching).
  • Access to a supportive environment
  • Small group work or 1:1 from the teacher or teaching assistants support to aid access through modified or support resources.
  • The use of Visual Timetables
  • Specialist equipment and technology
  • A dyslexia friendly classroom i.e., word mats/ coloured working paper.
  • Resources accessible to children so they can retrieve them as required furthering their independent learning.
  • Pre-teaching strategies and vocabulary.
  • Targeted guided teaching in small groups.
  • Scaffolding of tasks with the use visual support such a story maps, activity plans or writing frames / sequenced pictures.
  •  Extension activities within lessons for more able learners


What strategies does the school use to support specific areas of need?

Strategies to develop/support English, including reading.

  • Additional small group work with a teacher or teaching assistants to boost reading, spelling and phonic recall.
  • Targeted support in reading
  • Early Literacy Support (ELS)
  • Speed up Handwriting-motor skills intervention ‘Write from the Start’
  • Peer support opportunities such as paired reading or writing
  • Wave 3 intervention (1:1 with TA)
  • Programs tailored to the needs of a child with severe SEN using support from Outside specialist agencies
  • The use of writing slopes as appropriate


~Strategies to develop/ support Maths.

  • Additional small group work with a teacher or teaching assistants to boost mental maths recall.
  • The use of Maths programs tailored to specific groups after termly assessments


~Strategies to develop/ support speech and language development.

  • Individual programs as advised by the Speech and Language Team (If the child meets the threshold required for the service)


What support will there be to support my child’s overall wellbeing?

It is our view at Ferrars Junior School that happiness and achievement go together and in order to fulfil this aim we recognise that some children, including children with SEND, may well have Emotional and Social Development needs that will require support in school.

Strategies that we use to reduce anxiety and promote emotional wellbeing include

  • Individualised programmes of support implemented consistently by all staff
  • Counselling / Play Therapy (If the child meets the threshold required by the service)
  • Referral to appropriate outside agencies eg CAMHS (should the child meet their thresholds)
  • Referral to the school nursing service.
  • Social stories- these are written to suit the child and explain new or confusing situations to the child. They show how people may respond differently and develop the child’s understanding of a situation.
  • Social Skills groups run by a TA and planned to suit the needs of individuals in the group.
  • The school have a Buddy system in place
  • All staff have had briefing on Mental and Emotional Health and Wellbeing and some are receiving further more in depth training.


How will my child be supported when they leave this school or move on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for all children but especially so for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • Also, all records will be passed on as soon as possible.
  • If your child is moving on to one of our feeder Secondary Schools, we ensure that extra transition visits take place to help your child become familiar with the new setting and staff.
  • We also have a transition support programme that can be used if the child is particularly anxious about the changes.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases, they will be invited to join the final review meeting in the previous class.
  • ILPs will be written in collaboration with the new teacher. We also hold a Transition Morning for all pupils at the end of the Summer term where they spend time with their new teacher and in the new environment.


How will my child be included in activities outside of the classroom?

Our school is an inclusive school and we ensure that every lesson is accessible to every child whether it takes place in the classroom, the school grounds or off site.


How is our School environment accessible to children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities?

We have a disabled toilet and constantly monitor the buildings to ensure easy access.

Class teachers ensure that classroom equipment is accessible to all children and support for dyslexic children is available.

All Class teachers engage with any support offered from Occupational Therapists with regards to any children who need this.

Please refer to the school’s Accessibility Plan for information on Access and Inclusion.


Where can I get further information about services for my child?

Information on Luton Local Authority SEND offer can be found at:


Parent Partnership Information

The Luton Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIAS) was previously known as the Luton Parent Partnership.


‚ÄčThe information, advice and support provided is to help enable children, young people and their parents/ carers to participate in decisions regarding their education needs, in order to achieve the best possible outcomes.